For all the data & techies in the DC area, be sure to check out Next-Tech, happening this week at 1776 in Crystal City. For more information, to register, to view the schedule — and today, Next-Tech has released 20 free golden tickets for the “Next-Tech Invite Only Power Players Reception,” use promo code “specialguest2016” — click here.
Schedule of Events
Wednesday, October 12th
1:30pm – 2:30pm | Dash Hack Session: Web Development 101 w/ General Assembly
5:30pm – 6:15pm | Breakthrough: Women Leading the Way in Tech
6:30pm – 7:15pm | How Technology is Transforming Media
7:15pm – 9:15pm | Power Players’ Tech Reception (Invitation Only or Gold Pass)
Thursday, October 13th
12:15pm – 1:15pm | How to Land Your Next Job in Tech
12:30pm – 1:15pm | *Software Meets Operations (Offsite)
1:30pm – 3:45pm | Hiring Fair
4:15pm – 5:05pm | Fireside Chat: “Finding What Matters Most to Grow Your Company”
5:15pm – 6:15pm | Venture Panel – “Where’s The Money?”
Friday, October 14th
1:00pm – 3:00pm | *Tech Showcase (Offsite)
8:00pm – 10:00pm | Top Secret Closing Event (Offsite, Invitation Only)
* – Starred offsite events take place at WeWork Crystal City (2221 S Clark St, Arlington, VA), just a few blocks from the 1776 buidling. All other events take place at 1776 as scheduled.
From time to time I’ll post information from “the Creative Daily,” but I encourage all of you to join the Creative Daily mailing list. Today’s opportunity is a great opportunity for female filmmakers. Submission deadline is October 31st.
Athena IRIS Screenwriting Lab
The Athena Film Festival and IRIS are partnering to present the Athena IRIS Screenwriting Lab. The lab is a two-day writer’s workshop that is open to women screenwriters with scripts that focus on strong female leaders. The lab gives women screenwriters the opportunity to work in one-on-one sessions with mentors in the industry. Athena and IRIS will invite four unproduced screenwriters to this writer’s lab. The lab will take place February 9-10, 2017 during the 7th annual Athena Film Festival, at Barnard College, in New York City.
- Submissions will open October 1 at 12:00pm EST through October 31 at 11:59pm EST
- The submission fee is $50
- 8-10 finalists will be chosen by November 28 and asked to write a personal statement for further consideration
- Four winners will be chosen by January
- Lab participants will be provided meals during the lab as well as a full pass to participate in all activities of the Athena Film Festival
Who Can Apply:
- Writers who identify as female.
- Writers who have yet to have a feature-length narrative film produced.
- Screenplays must include a strong female character in a leadership role at the center of the story.
- We seek screenplays from all genres about women in all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups.
- Screenplays must be feature-length narrative scripts in English of no more than 120 pages. We will not consider TV, shorts, plays, book excerpts, or documentaries.
- Scripts with more than one writer (both have to identity as female) can be considered.
- As part of the submission process you will be asked to include a log line of the film and a synopsis.
If selected to participate in the lab you must be available to be in New York City, February 9-10, 2017 (no travel stipend provided).
The submission deadline is October 31, 2016. Learn more about how to apply.
support the create daily? Here’s how:
Help us continue to support creators:
1. Advertise with us!
We’ve been successfully connecting talented creators like yourself with awesome opportunities. Encourage your employers and colleagues to use the create daily to promote job openings and opportunities for creators (from events to resources to programs to fellowships)! Our advertising packages are affordable and positioned to be effective.
2. Join the create daily coop!
The create daily coop posts awesome, high value jobs, opts, and resources daily. Test drive it free for 7 days.
3. Spread the word!
Click to tweet the below message to your awesome network
Hey fellow creatives. Want awesome opportunities sent to you? Subscribe to @thecreatedaily: http://ctt.ec/UP9DZ+ You can thank me later!
September 19, 2016 – A Rebirth
I can’t pinpoint the exact date in the Spring of 2008, but what I do know is that on May 1 2008, I posted my first post on this blog – an invite to DC Scout’s 1st Birthday Bash.
By January 1, 2013 (over the course of 5 years), RaeNewman’s Blog had posted over 850 posts and over 57,000 visitors. From the Project Inspiration Photo Exhibit (11.16.11) to BMW/Uptown Magazine events to #AllThingsFashion to former client Anji Corley’s fashion & media endeavors to interviews with Estelle, event reviews from Soul Overdose featuring YahZarah, Faith Evans and more.
I started this blog to help people be more “in the know.” People started realizing that I was a “go-to” source with the inside track to a cornucopia of events and opportunities in DC, NYC, LA, Atl and beyond. On any given weekend, I’d get a call asking me where to go, what the hot haps were or if there was anything amazing happening for the weekend. The problem was, I’d always be at an event when those calls came through. And thus, the blog was born.
Fast forward to September 2016. And while the blog has been on a 3 year hiatus, the invitations, events and clients have continued to roll in. The blog comes easy, but look for some things old: MG Sandbox: An Entertainment Think Tank – to launch and announce some new clients; and the return of covering the DC Music Scene, even though Examiner.com has gone defunct as of June 2016, my Examiner articles live on and I’ll continue to write here and freelance for various outlets. And look for some things new, including “A Creatives Incubator,” (link coming soon) a support system for creatives, artists and tech/STEM which is positioned to take multiple industries by storm….
Have an event or announcement you’d like considered for post on the blog? Send an email to RaeNewmanBlog@gmail.com and we will consider it.
#BeAmazing #BeInspired #JustBe
– Rae Newman
Wishing everyone all the best in 2013.
Be Inspired to: Create. Give. Dream. Love. Praise. Laugh. Trust. Lend a Hand, a Shoulder to cry on, good Energy in good Times.
Be better, do better, reach higher. Keep Calm & Carry On!!
And try to do one or all of these things, each & every day that you wake up.
Happy New Year!